Skip to main content

My Christmas Toastie

As a lover of Christmas and cooking I thought it was time to make a Christmas toastie. While I love the classic turkey, stuffing and cranberry sandwich I like to save that for post Christmas blues and thought a different flavor combination should be used for the Christmas build up. 
So for my Christmas toastie I've gone for an incredibly indulgent cranberry, Stilton and rocket filling; it's oozy, tangy and is the ultimate comfort food for a frosty December day.
All you need is: 
- two slices of bread (I use gluten free warburtons) 
- margarine 
- a block of slilton
- cranberry sauce 
- washed Rocket leaves (about a handful for the filling and a handful for the side).

Start by spreading the margarine on one side of each slice of bread then turn it over and spread cranberry sauce on the other side- I like to put cranberry on both sides for extra flavor and moisture. Cut up as much Stilton as you want and place evenly on one side of a cranberry spreaded slice. Put about a handful of washed rocket on top and then put the other half of bread over it. 

You don't need to use any extra oil or butter because the butter on the outside of the bread is enough to stop it from sticking. In a non stick frying pan place it down after its heated up for a little bit and gently cook on a low heat. You need to keep an eye on it so that it doesn't burn but let it cook enough to melt the cheese.

Flip once after a couple minutes and then place on a plate with a side salad of left over rocket and enjoy the indulgence of this Christmas toastie. 

Simple, delicious and festive- enjoy! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Cheese Shops Every Cheese-a-holic should head to

As someone who is obsessed with cheese I have spent a fair amount of time sussing out London's most fabulous cheese mongers. There are so many to bring up, but I thought I would go with the five that I return to most frequently. So at number 1: Paxton and Whitfield. Dating back to the 1700s, Paxton and Whitfield is London's oldest cheese shop and stocks amazing cheeses from around the world. I come here annually to buy cheese for Christmas day, and I am unashamed to admit it's probably one of my favorite expeditions of the year. They serve something for everyone from creamy goats cheese to smack you in the face blues. The range is extensive and the staff are happy to help you pick the perfect cheeses to match your pallet and the occasion. Number 2: La Fromagerie. Based in Highbury and Mayfair this cheese shop holds an authentic feel and is the first experience I'd had of a cheese shop. I go to the one in Highbury and Islington as it's local to me and I never...

Funemployed not so fun?

When I first moved back to London after uni I was on Cloud 9. I felt like the world was my oyster and I was going to fall into my dream job by September latest. Well it's now October and the realities of graduate life have hit home. It's not that I was necessarily arrogant, but more so ignorant. I was living in a bubble of uni life where my parents, extended family and all of their friends would praise me for studying at university and I didn't anticipate that once my graduation ceremony was out of the way, I was just an unemployed person doing very little. I've spent months applying for so many dream jobs, applying for rubbish jobs, random jobs, looking to sack it all off and move abroad for a bit and feeling too emotionally exhausted to apply for any jobs and diverting all conversations in that region to something else, or about someone else. You can see my emotional rut. At the start of summer people would ask me what it is I want to do and I would be bursting...

Flat Iron Review

Flat Iron, where to begin? I've heard so much about this restaurant and been meaning to go for a while. I tried once but they said it was going to be a two hour wait and my hunger couldn't hack it. Luckily this time I went around 1.30 with my mum and we were told the wait was only 20 minutes and I couldn't say no to that. Upon arrival the staff take you to your table, stopping off at the popcorn machine to give you some free beef dripping and thyme popcorn. Personally, popcorn has never really been my thing but this was just what I fancied and was the perfect introduction to the beautiful beef that was about to grace our table. In terms of gluten free, most of the menu is gluten free and the staff simply crossed out what I couldn't eat, making it a really clear and an easy ordering process. I went for the medium rare flat iron steak with bernaise sauce, beef dripping chips and creamed spinach. The meat was melt in the mouth and you're given a cleaver to cut i...