Skip to main content

New Year, New Me?

Now that we're in the start of 2018 I'm sure many people will be trying to stick to their new years resolutions. Did you leave cigarettes behind or was it all that chocolate you promised you would no longer eat? Whatever it was, I think the pressure of resolutions can be a bit damaging and that people should try and keep them realistic. I think for three years in a row I said I'd quit smoking and of course it never happened, instead one day in October I just thought 'this is gross I'm done' and gave up. For me the pressure of the new years resolution meant the whole thing felt really forced and resulted in me giving up on it very quickly.

So, lesson learned I thought this year I'll make a resolution that's doable and kind to myself. I've decided I need to be better with spending so am going to make a weekly budget rather than spending blindly. I know its not the most unusual resolution but I figured rather than making a vague statement about it, it made more sense to come up with a method of how to achieve it.

I guess I'm trying to say new years resolutions don't have to be all bad but some thought should go into them so there isn't this whole idea that because it's a new year it's a new you. For example one of my friends resolutions is to eat a piece of fruit a day, it's simple, healthy and realistic and if she misses a day it's not the end of the world. I think 2018 is all about being honest and kind to yourself and a healthy resolution is a great way to start that self appreciation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Cheese Shops Every Cheese-a-holic should head to

As someone who is obsessed with cheese I have spent a fair amount of time sussing out London's most fabulous cheese mongers. There are so many to bring up, but I thought I would go with the five that I return to most frequently. So at number 1: Paxton and Whitfield. Dating back to the 1700s, Paxton and Whitfield is London's oldest cheese shop and stocks amazing cheeses from around the world. I come here annually to buy cheese for Christmas day, and I am unashamed to admit it's probably one of my favorite expeditions of the year. They serve something for everyone from creamy goats cheese to smack you in the face blues. The range is extensive and the staff are happy to help you pick the perfect cheeses to match your pallet and the occasion. Number 2: La Fromagerie. Based in Highbury and Mayfair this cheese shop holds an authentic feel and is the first experience I'd had of a cheese shop. I go to the one in Highbury and Islington as it's local to me and I never...

Funemployed not so fun?

When I first moved back to London after uni I was on Cloud 9. I felt like the world was my oyster and I was going to fall into my dream job by September latest. Well it's now October and the realities of graduate life have hit home. It's not that I was necessarily arrogant, but more so ignorant. I was living in a bubble of uni life where my parents, extended family and all of their friends would praise me for studying at university and I didn't anticipate that once my graduation ceremony was out of the way, I was just an unemployed person doing very little. I've spent months applying for so many dream jobs, applying for rubbish jobs, random jobs, looking to sack it all off and move abroad for a bit and feeling too emotionally exhausted to apply for any jobs and diverting all conversations in that region to something else, or about someone else. You can see my emotional rut. At the start of summer people would ask me what it is I want to do and I would be bursting...

Flat Iron Review

Flat Iron, where to begin? I've heard so much about this restaurant and been meaning to go for a while. I tried once but they said it was going to be a two hour wait and my hunger couldn't hack it. Luckily this time I went around 1.30 with my mum and we were told the wait was only 20 minutes and I couldn't say no to that. Upon arrival the staff take you to your table, stopping off at the popcorn machine to give you some free beef dripping and thyme popcorn. Personally, popcorn has never really been my thing but this was just what I fancied and was the perfect introduction to the beautiful beef that was about to grace our table. In terms of gluten free, most of the menu is gluten free and the staff simply crossed out what I couldn't eat, making it a really clear and an easy ordering process. I went for the medium rare flat iron steak with bernaise sauce, beef dripping chips and creamed spinach. The meat was melt in the mouth and you're given a cleaver to cut i...