Skip to main content

A Free Afternoon in London

As we live in one of the most expensive cities in the world it's handy to have a few free activities in mind for when you're out of pocket. The other day me and my friend Aidan put our heads together and had a completely free afternoon bar our tube fare. 

The plan for our thrifty afternoon was to go searching for spring flowers. We started in Bond Street to see the time lapse of flowers in St.Christophers place; it's worth checking out online (I use TimeOut) what free pop ups are going on around the city as you might find something really fun. 

After checking out this cool spring installation we wondered down towards Somerset house. This is one of my favorite locations as its free to go in and during the summer seasons you can have a splash in the fountains. We walked through and went across the river seeing daffodils along the way. 

The beauty of South bank is that there's so much to look at and so many places to go; you could take a stroll through Borough market or do what we did and pop into the Tate Modern. I love the Tate but I don't like to go if I don't know what for so it was nice to chill in the turbine hall and watch the giant pendulum swing rather than getting lost on one of the floors. 

We then headed back over the river to find lovely purple blossom outside St Pauls Cathedral where we chilled in the church yard looking at the flowers and water installation. The famous cathedral looks so beautiful surrounded by blossom and even if you're only there for lunch it's worth the look. 


London is blessed with so many different walks, free activities and beautiful sights and with spring flowers in mind the city looks even more gorgeous. So for a lovely free afternoon in London I would recommend walking. It's healthy, you don't always know where you'll end up and it's a great way to save some money while catching up with a friend or listening to some music. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Cheese Shops Every Cheese-a-holic should head to

As someone who is obsessed with cheese I have spent a fair amount of time sussing out London's most fabulous cheese mongers. There are so many to bring up, but I thought I would go with the five that I return to most frequently. So at number 1: Paxton and Whitfield. Dating back to the 1700s, Paxton and Whitfield is London's oldest cheese shop and stocks amazing cheeses from around the world. I come here annually to buy cheese for Christmas day, and I am unashamed to admit it's probably one of my favorite expeditions of the year. They serve something for everyone from creamy goats cheese to smack you in the face blues. The range is extensive and the staff are happy to help you pick the perfect cheeses to match your pallet and the occasion. Number 2: La Fromagerie. Based in Highbury and Mayfair this cheese shop holds an authentic feel and is the first experience I'd had of a cheese shop. I go to the one in Highbury and Islington as it's local to me and I never...

Funemployed not so fun?

When I first moved back to London after uni I was on Cloud 9. I felt like the world was my oyster and I was going to fall into my dream job by September latest. Well it's now October and the realities of graduate life have hit home. It's not that I was necessarily arrogant, but more so ignorant. I was living in a bubble of uni life where my parents, extended family and all of their friends would praise me for studying at university and I didn't anticipate that once my graduation ceremony was out of the way, I was just an unemployed person doing very little. I've spent months applying for so many dream jobs, applying for rubbish jobs, random jobs, looking to sack it all off and move abroad for a bit and feeling too emotionally exhausted to apply for any jobs and diverting all conversations in that region to something else, or about someone else. You can see my emotional rut. At the start of summer people would ask me what it is I want to do and I would be bursting...

Flat Iron Review

Flat Iron, where to begin? I've heard so much about this restaurant and been meaning to go for a while. I tried once but they said it was going to be a two hour wait and my hunger couldn't hack it. Luckily this time I went around 1.30 with my mum and we were told the wait was only 20 minutes and I couldn't say no to that. Upon arrival the staff take you to your table, stopping off at the popcorn machine to give you some free beef dripping and thyme popcorn. Personally, popcorn has never really been my thing but this was just what I fancied and was the perfect introduction to the beautiful beef that was about to grace our table. In terms of gluten free, most of the menu is gluten free and the staff simply crossed out what I couldn't eat, making it a really clear and an easy ordering process. I went for the medium rare flat iron steak with bernaise sauce, beef dripping chips and creamed spinach. The meat was melt in the mouth and you're given a cleaver to cut i...