Skip to main content

Four Free Exhibitions That You Don't Wanna Miss

I don't know why but when the sun comes out London seems to smash art, culture, pop ups and what this post is about: exhibitions. Recently I've been to some really fun, vibrant and most importantly free ones that are really worth taking a look at and representative of the amazing free activities we are lucky to have in the city. 

1) Beat Positive- Getty Images Gallery
This small photography exhibition depicts New York hip hop culture, exhibiting photos of Salt n Pepper, Rum-DMC and A Tribe Called Quest. Whilst you wonder around this fun and nostalgic space there is the music of the artists displayed playing in the background. I thought this made it so much more immersive and you really feel like you're thrown into the culture of this New York scene. This is also my favorite photography gallery in London and I think it's worth keeping an eye on what they have on as from what I've seen they've always been really good.


2) June Calypso: What to do with a Million Years - T.J. Boulting 
This eerily seductive exhibition replicates a bunker in Las Vegas with images of a gorgeous woman with scarlet hair roaming the house/bunker. Expect to be taken down some unfinished stairs into the world of this underground home. From a recreated garden to images of the scarlet haired lady emerging from a bath, this home creates an emptiness like no other. I haven't seen an exhibition like this before and think it's a really interesting subject and worth going to- plus it's behind Oxford Street so you can get shopping afterwards. 


3) Katharina Grosse at the Gagosian 
If you're looking for a splash of color that will make your Instagram pop then this exhibition is for you. Like the others it's quite small but has some really cool, colorful art. Upon entry you are faced with this ginormous piece of art that is reminiscent of something you might skate off. The depth of color is fantastic and it's an excellent start to this exhibition. The smaller pieces are also great and compliment each other whilst also making a great pic. 


4) Beatriz Milhazes at the White Cube gallery
This exhibition plays with the idea of the kaleidoscope, using sculpture, paint and fabric to create images that allude to shapes and trippy imagery. It also has a massive piece that is made entirely out of tapestry. When walking through you cannot help but admire the sheer amount of work and thought that has gone into this exhibition- it's truly illuminating. 


These four exhibitions are really exciting, contemporary and innovative in their artistic approaches. They're also really nice galleries and make a great afternoon if you have some free time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Cheese Shops Every Cheese-a-holic should head to

As someone who is obsessed with cheese I have spent a fair amount of time sussing out London's most fabulous cheese mongers. There are so many to bring up, but I thought I would go with the five that I return to most frequently. So at number 1: Paxton and Whitfield. Dating back to the 1700s, Paxton and Whitfield is London's oldest cheese shop and stocks amazing cheeses from around the world. I come here annually to buy cheese for Christmas day, and I am unashamed to admit it's probably one of my favorite expeditions of the year. They serve something for everyone from creamy goats cheese to smack you in the face blues. The range is extensive and the staff are happy to help you pick the perfect cheeses to match your pallet and the occasion. Number 2: La Fromagerie. Based in Highbury and Mayfair this cheese shop holds an authentic feel and is the first experience I'd had of a cheese shop. I go to the one in Highbury and Islington as it's local to me and I never...

Funemployed not so fun?

When I first moved back to London after uni I was on Cloud 9. I felt like the world was my oyster and I was going to fall into my dream job by September latest. Well it's now October and the realities of graduate life have hit home. It's not that I was necessarily arrogant, but more so ignorant. I was living in a bubble of uni life where my parents, extended family and all of their friends would praise me for studying at university and I didn't anticipate that once my graduation ceremony was out of the way, I was just an unemployed person doing very little. I've spent months applying for so many dream jobs, applying for rubbish jobs, random jobs, looking to sack it all off and move abroad for a bit and feeling too emotionally exhausted to apply for any jobs and diverting all conversations in that region to something else, or about someone else. You can see my emotional rut. At the start of summer people would ask me what it is I want to do and I would be bursting...

Flat Iron Review

Flat Iron, where to begin? I've heard so much about this restaurant and been meaning to go for a while. I tried once but they said it was going to be a two hour wait and my hunger couldn't hack it. Luckily this time I went around 1.30 with my mum and we were told the wait was only 20 minutes and I couldn't say no to that. Upon arrival the staff take you to your table, stopping off at the popcorn machine to give you some free beef dripping and thyme popcorn. Personally, popcorn has never really been my thing but this was just what I fancied and was the perfect introduction to the beautiful beef that was about to grace our table. In terms of gluten free, most of the menu is gluten free and the staff simply crossed out what I couldn't eat, making it a really clear and an easy ordering process. I went for the medium rare flat iron steak with bernaise sauce, beef dripping chips and creamed spinach. The meat was melt in the mouth and you're given a cleaver to cut i...