Skip to main content

Can I spend less and feel absolutely fabulous?

Following an Ab Fab style mantra with my girl group in London, it can be very easy to forget that it might be time to save a bit of cash and reign in that wonderful prosecco filled fun. I've always loved earning money and splashing out on that little extra nice thing if it will make me feel better and great at the time; however now being in my final year at university I've had to come to terms with the fact that I won't have the time or the money to be roaming around and splashing the cash I just don't have. I could get a job and make the balance for the lavish lifestyle I love and pretend to be a part of, but its more important to me that I put my focus on getting that 2:1 which means no extra money for fun or as some say 'all work and no play'.

God I can just hear how ridiculous this all sounds "it's just so hard trying to give up prosecco". That's an extreme example as I mainly mean I want to stop buying the odd trinket, t shirt or my current bad habit: coca cola. So as I'm splitting my time between London and uni I have given myself the personal challenge to not spend any money this week (16th- 23rd October) and get as creative as I possibly can with all the tins in my cupboard, the rice, the pasta and not spend a single penny.

My ultimate hobby is cooking and as a coeliac I have really had to get creative with what I make and pretty much always have to cook from scratch. So as an extension of this hobby I have decided to challenge my creative cookery side with a budget of £0.00. With a trusty cabinet of spices I feel that I could be in for a good week, however I need to try and subdue those cheese and coca cola cravings and stick to the goal. I want to prove to myself that I can live on a budget and at the end of the week I will estimate what I saved and put that money into a savings account so come the Christmas holidays a bottle of prosecco will feel incredibly deserved as I put the money away especially.

Keep an eye out on instagram (Sophieberkoff) to see what sort of meals I make (I've already got tomorrow sorted with refried beans and a mushroom chili) and after the week is up I will write about if this was a realistic goal, what went well, what went wrong and whether or not I could do this challenge again once all my pasta, rice and tins are restocked.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Cheese Shops Every Cheese-a-holic should head to

As someone who is obsessed with cheese I have spent a fair amount of time sussing out London's most fabulous cheese mongers. There are so many to bring up, but I thought I would go with the five that I return to most frequently. So at number 1: Paxton and Whitfield. Dating back to the 1700s, Paxton and Whitfield is London's oldest cheese shop and stocks amazing cheeses from around the world. I come here annually to buy cheese for Christmas day, and I am unashamed to admit it's probably one of my favorite expeditions of the year. They serve something for everyone from creamy goats cheese to smack you in the face blues. The range is extensive and the staff are happy to help you pick the perfect cheeses to match your pallet and the occasion. Number 2: La Fromagerie. Based in Highbury and Mayfair this cheese shop holds an authentic feel and is the first experience I'd had of a cheese shop. I go to the one in Highbury and Islington as it's local to me and I never...

Funemployed not so fun?

When I first moved back to London after uni I was on Cloud 9. I felt like the world was my oyster and I was going to fall into my dream job by September latest. Well it's now October and the realities of graduate life have hit home. It's not that I was necessarily arrogant, but more so ignorant. I was living in a bubble of uni life where my parents, extended family and all of their friends would praise me for studying at university and I didn't anticipate that once my graduation ceremony was out of the way, I was just an unemployed person doing very little. I've spent months applying for so many dream jobs, applying for rubbish jobs, random jobs, looking to sack it all off and move abroad for a bit and feeling too emotionally exhausted to apply for any jobs and diverting all conversations in that region to something else, or about someone else. You can see my emotional rut. At the start of summer people would ask me what it is I want to do and I would be bursting...

Flat Iron Review

Flat Iron, where to begin? I've heard so much about this restaurant and been meaning to go for a while. I tried once but they said it was going to be a two hour wait and my hunger couldn't hack it. Luckily this time I went around 1.30 with my mum and we were told the wait was only 20 minutes and I couldn't say no to that. Upon arrival the staff take you to your table, stopping off at the popcorn machine to give you some free beef dripping and thyme popcorn. Personally, popcorn has never really been my thing but this was just what I fancied and was the perfect introduction to the beautiful beef that was about to grace our table. In terms of gluten free, most of the menu is gluten free and the staff simply crossed out what I couldn't eat, making it a really clear and an easy ordering process. I went for the medium rare flat iron steak with bernaise sauce, beef dripping chips and creamed spinach. The meat was melt in the mouth and you're given a cleaver to cut i...